Tour Boileau


Click to enlarge
La Tour Boileau, by  Charles Fichot.

Click to enlarge
Détail of the map of Troyes' ramparts in 1540,
(c) BMVR de Troyes, Photo Pascal Jacquinot

The boulevard of the Boileau tower was built from 1523 to 1540 and its tower was used to keep some of the city's artillery. Its destruction was decided by the Town's Council in 1832, and took place in 1848, 3 years before the construction of the new and imposing casern de l'Oratoire, known today as the Beurnonville Casern (barracks).