Porte de Croncels

 

 

Click to enlarge

At the beginning of the 16th century the local architect Jean Guayde was asked to rebuild what was known as the Holy Spirit Gate. It was made up of two large semicircular towers, constructed of brick and stone. It was demolished in 1808.

Click to enlarge

Not far from the Croncels Gate, was the Maury Arch, under which the Vienne canal left the city. It was flanked by two semicircular towers; the Saint Gilles tower and the "Moulin Neuf" Tower (New Mill). The arch was destroyed in 1886.