|The Hotel Dieu was founded towards 1157 by the
Count Henri Ist known as Henri the Liberal, as part of the vast domain which then included
St Etienne's church and the Counts' Palace.
The Hotel Dieu was rebuilt on several occasions through the centuries; in 1270, 1482, 1697... It was partly destroyed to be rebuilt during the 18th century, to look like the building we know today. During these last modifications, Pierre Delphin drew and built (in 1759) the beautiful iron gates which open to the main courtyard. The stones used to build the Hotel Dieu have many different origins. Indeed, at the time of the enlarging and the rebuilding in the 18th century, the idea was to join together several hospitals in one. Thus, stones from the Hotel Dieu Saint Bernard, which was located near the place Jean Jaurès and demolished in 1750, and from the Hotel Dieu Saint Lazare, located in Bréviandes and demolished in 17th century, were re-used for the Hotel Dieu.
Today it shelters the University of Troyes and the Museum of Pharmacy, located in the old pharmacy of the hospital.