|The first Hotel Dieu St Nicolas was founded in
the 7th century by the chapter of the cathedral. It was called the "enfermery"
and it accommodated "the poor ones, old ones and orphans" of Troyes. None of the
original buildings survived the centuries, and the building which we can see today was
built from 1839 to 1843 by the local architect Pierre Gauthier.
It recently lost its original vocation and after a successful restoration
was transformed into private residences.
The Cathedral seen from the Hospice in construction
Drawing by Charles Fichot, in "Voyage Archéologique...", by A.-F. Arnaud, 1835
(c) BMVR de Troyes / Phot. Pascal Jacquinot