La Porte aux Mystres, from Charles Fichot.
|This gate, also called Gate of Auxerre or
executioner's gate (because of the close pillory located on the hay market, today called
Place Jean Jaurès?), existed as early as the XIIth century, according to local historian
Brice Collet. It was very close to the main gate of the belfry and it was soon closed and
transformed into a tower at the end of the XVth century and the beginning of the XVIth
century to shelter stocks of gunpowder. It eventually disappeared in 1853, together with
the rest of Saint Nicolas's ramparts, to open the rue Truelle on boulevard Victor Hugo,
known as boulevard of the belfry in those times.