Notre Dame aux Nonnains and Church St Jacques

(préfecture)

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

The Abbey Notre Dame aux Nonnains and its church of St Jacques were built in the 13th century, and faced the second Palace of the Counts of Champagne. Saint Jacques church was famous for its portal, perfect example of flamboyant gothic style, and was thus called "St Jacques with the Beautiful Portal". The sisters of the abbey distinguished themselves during the construction of Saint Urbain, on some ground which they owned; they invaded the building site and broke down all they could. It is only after having been excommunicated that they accepted their new neighbour and let builders carry on with their work...

Click to enlarge
The Préfecture, the wheat Market (destroyed at the end of the 19th century) and the Canal
(Ch. Fichot, in "Troyes et ses environs", A. Aufauvre, 1860)