Porte Saint Jacques

 

  Click to enlarge


Click to enlarge

The first gate was built here at the beginning of 13th century; at the time that the perimeter of the initial ramparts was increasing. From 1395 to 1404, a massive and impressive gate was built to replace the old one; made of two large towers, resting on a rectangular building, itself bearing two small turrets. Renamed "Sans Culottes" Gate in 1793, it survived some 30 years after the revolution, to be eventually destroyed in 1832.

Click to enlarge
The Bridge Saint Jacques,
that lead to the Gate.


Click to enlarge
"Vue extérieure de la ville de Troyes"
after a painting by Michel Petit Baltet