Church Saint Jean au Marché
(St Jean in the Market)

 

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge 19th century stain glass picturing the crowning of King Louis II

Built in the 13th century, on the site of a Romanesque church (where in 878 one celebrated the crowning of King Louis II the Stammerer by Pope Jean 8th), then modified and increased in the 14th century, it hosted the wedding of Catherine of France and Henri V of England in 1420, a union which gave away the crown of France to the English.

Its name, St Jean "in the Market", comes from the times of the Champagne Fairs which were held in the vicinity. The church is noticeable for several beautifully preserved stained glass windows, as well as its Tour de l'Horloge (clock tower) on the southern side. The belfry fell down in 1911 when the city decided to demolish the small houses that were leaning against the church, called the "Logettes".

Click to enlarge Click to enlarge Click to enlarge Click to enlarge
Visitation de la Vierge à Elisabeth, XVIe siècle Descente de Croix, XVIe siècle Saint Michel Autel du St Ciboire,
XVIIè s., Judas jetant sa bourse sur l'autel

 

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge  Click to enlarge  Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Saint Henri

Saint Sébastien

Salomon's Judgement

Crucifixion

  

Click to enlarge    Cloche de 1624 - Click to enlarge   Click to enlarge

 

   Click to enlarge    Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

The belfry fell down in 1911 when the city decided to destroy the small houses that were leaning against the church, called the "Logettes".