Detail of "plan et figure de l'église de
Troyes...", 1600 - (c) BMVR de Troyes, phot. Pascal Jacquinot
|The Royal Abbey of Saint Loup was established in
the 9th century, to shelter the relics of Saint Loup, defender of the city against the
invasion of Attila, which were kept until then at Saint Martin Es Aires. It was the most
important abbey inside the walls of the city and an imposing church was erected during the
revolution, the church and part the abbey's buildings were destroyed, and the only
standing building that remained (on rue Chrestien de Troyes) was used to store confiscated
books from neighbouring abbeys and convents, amongst which was the abbey of Clairvaux.
This is how today's public library was created in Troyes. The Museum of Beautiful Arts,
Archaeology and Natural History was installed, in the other buildings, and has been since
1830. It shows paintings and sculptures from the 14th to the 19th centuries, furniture,
and an impressive room of medieval sculptures (12th to 15th century), in addition to Roman
remains also found in the surroundings.